Friday 8 July 2011

Being an Exhibitor - Episode 4

The big day.

Ever since I can remember we have done the same thing when we prepare for a show. We consult "THE BOOK"! Right from the beginning we kept a list of the things we needed to take, mainly because as demonstrators staying on site you can't afford to forget anything, (although I do remember forgetting to pack our work table once....it's only the most important thing we need). So give it a try - imagine yourself at the fair and mentally go through your day thinking of all the things you may need and jot them down in a book. I'll start you off:

Basics: Fuel in your vehicle - stock - table/s and covering cloth - shelves/stands - any working equipment/tools - insurance documents - show paperwork/passes etc - phone

Stationery: Price tags - pens - rubber bands - business cards - staples - paper - visitor book, (for customers to leave you their contact details) - drawing pins - cheque book, (if you need to pay the organiser) - scissors - sticky tape - labels - tape measure - mirror, (if you sell goods that need to be tried on) - carrier bags - string, (you never know when you might need it)

Financial: Money belt - sales book - receipt pad - credit card machine, (if you have one) - a float for your till/belt.

Other: Flask or bottle of drink - food - sweets, (for the sore throat you'll get from talking too much) - comfy old shoes, (just in case those new shoes that you have only worn in last week suddenly start to dig into your heels) - wear layers of clothes so that you can add layers if it's cold and take them off if it gets hot.

Each time we prepare for a show we tick each item off in pencil, then when everything is packed, we rub the ticks out ready for the next time. The books looking a bit ragged now but it still works. You will no doubt think of loads of things I've forgotten, so if you do, please tell me and I'll add it in my little book!

Then the last bit of advice - smile and enjoy yourself! Remember.......

Smiling

Smiling is infectious, you catch it like the 'flu,
When someone smiled at me today, I started smiling too.
I passed around the corner and someone saw me grin,
Suddenly I realised I'd passed it onto him.
I thought about the smile and realised what it's worth,
A single smile like mine could travel round the Earth.
So when you feel a smile begin, don't leave it undetected.
Start an epidemic - get the World infected!

Author Unknown

No comments: