Ending the week with some real progress. The William Morris chairs looked like they were in pretty good condition......until we took the rush off the seats! It happens so often, a chair frame seems nice and firm and then the minute you take the seat off it it falls to pieces........ or worse.
Well worse it was with two out of the four chairs. The little child's chair had a broken back rail, we thought it looked very bowed before removing the rush but hoped perhaps it had just bent with pressure and age, but it hadn't. The usual problem, over the years people trying to replace the protective "rub rails" onto the seats edge had used larger and larger nails to try and fix them in place - the result, the poor old seat rails could take no more and the back one finally split. So a new replacement in beech was called for.
The same had happened with the armchair. The rush had been replaced before and the arms had been put back in at slightly the wrong angle, (and been nailed!!) so had caused stress cracks through both side rails.....ho hum!
All fixed now though, here is one we finished earlier.